Saturday, November 16, 2013

Officially Official

So Work the World accepted my application for Tanzania 2014!I got confirmation about a week ago but I haven't posted about it because I have been busy with classes. Although the hard work paid off because I got an awesome grade on both of my tests. Anywho Work the World set up a "MyTrip" account that helps me stay organized while planning for my trip. It even gives suggested dates as to when I should make flight arrangements, get a passport, obtain travel insurance etc. This is an awesome tool that I plan to utilize as much as possible because I don't have the best organizational skills. I actually made an appointment to get my first passport EVER for this week, putting me ahead of the schedule. Along with the helpful "MyTrip" account, Leah, my coordinator, sent me a whole PDF on how to speak Swahili. It is actually really neat and some of the words are similar to the English language. The PDF even has a section about Swahili words from the Lion King! Here is a list of words from the Lion King that are actually from the Swahili language:
From the Lion King:
hakuna matata – no worries
simba - lion
sarabi - mirage
pumbaa - careless; to be a fool; to be bewildered
rafiki - friend
banzai - skulk, lurk
shenzi - uncouth, savage, demon, barbarous
upendo – love
asante sana – thank you

I found this to be really cool. Who knew we were actually learning Swahili while we watched this as children?! If anyone actually knows Swahili or has any tips about learning a new language, please feel free to leave a comment:)! Thanks again everyone for keeping me in your thoughts and prayers as I continue on my journey! Please keep your eyes open for my next blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment