Sunday, December 29, 2013

A minor set-"Back"

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas and had their fill of family, friends, and fun! This Christmas was a little different for me because I spent it in the hospital. At 5:30am on Christmas Eve I arrived at John's Hopkin's to get my rods taken out of my back. They were causing an infection that was getting too close to my spine. Anywho like I was saying I arrived at 5:30 am on December 24th and I was not surprised to find that I was the first patient to check in. However the ladies checking me in were surprised that I was there so early because my surgery wasn't schedueled until 12:30 that afternoon! Apparently there had been a mix up in scheduling -__- Long story short they were able to move some people around and I ended up heading into surgery around 7:30am. I had the unique opportunity of meeting the medical crew who was going to be operating on me. This happened because I told the nurse that I would not mind walking back (since I wouldn't be walking for a while) and she didn't see a problem with that. When we got in though she realized that they needed my bed in order to give me the anestesia. We all had a good laugh about it and while I waited for her to roll my bed in I got to speak with the resident doctor, and the nurses. They were all very nice and we had a nice conversation about the holiday's and our plans. This really helped to calm the nerves that I felt creeping in as the time of surgery got closer. Next thing I new the bed was in, I got on, and then BAM, lights out. I woke up to see my dad and sister in the post-op room. They told me the surgery took about 4 hours and I lost alot of blood, but other than that everything went well. The nurses further explained that because I lost alot of blood they pumped alot of fluid in me and that is why I resembled the Pillsbury Dough-boy. Eventually they moved me into my room where I slept on and off for the rest of the afternoon. Around 5pm that night I had felt I had enough sleep and I was actually with it for once since being out of surgery. My nurse introduced herself and as we got to talking I found out she had graduated Stevenson University about 3 years ago (for those of you who don't know that is where I am currently attending school)! Once she said that we started talking about all the professors, who are our favorites, and just about the nursing program in general. I really enjoyed talking with her and I got excited all over again thinking about my future semesters at Stevenson.
However she was not the only nice nurse that I encountered while staying at John's Hopkins. All of my nurses were so nice and really took the time to get to know me. Once they found out that I am a nursing student they were so excited and even offered me a job! I really appreciated those nurses taking the time to teach me how to use a certain piece of equiptment, or how to properly give an IV medicaiton. They even gave me Christmas presents just to make my day a little more merry. My favorite present was a pillow pet dalmation named Rodney. I can honestly say that all of those nurses were a perfect example of what a true nurse should be. Those nurses are an inspiration to me as I continue on this journey to become a nurse and one day I hope to be a good a nurse as they are. Also just a typical girl observation: the resident doctors were pretty cute! All in all I the surgery went smoothly and even though I was in the hospital for Christmas I really enjoyed my stay because of all the wonderful nurses. I thank God that everything went well and I am now back on track for Tanzania. I hope you all have a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment